WORKING FOR RESULTS
BGR’s work to achieve results is an extension of our reports – a necessary post-publication implementation phase. Once a report is complete, BGR disseminates it through multiple channels, including our website, our email list and social media. We present information from each report in multiple forms, including a one-page summary called InBrief. We invite members of the media to information sessions and educate them on our findings. We participate in radio, television and newspaper interviews.
Sometimes implementation of BGR recommendations spans many years, even decades. But we don’t simply wait. We educate the public and the news media on the findings and recommendations. We revisit issues with updated research and analysis. We release follow-up publications. We track the instances where policymakers adopt BGR recommendations. For a model of BGR’s approach, click the image below.
TRACK RECORD OF RESULTS
Based on our most recent assessment, BGR recommendations have been implemented to some degree in 13 out of 16 major research areas during the past decade, with significant or full implementation in most cases. We are proud of the history of results, especially for the broader impacts that may result. Examples include:
- Reforms to professional services contracting practices in New Orleans
- Improvements to land-use decision making in New Orleans
- Research leading to the consolidation of the seven Orleans Parish assessors into a single office
- Research identifying $39 million of deferred revenue, which the Orleans Parish school system subsequently distributed to schools
- Potential savings of more than $1 million annually for the City of New Orleans from discovering a misinterpreted pension benefit formula
BGR has won 10 national awards for its policy achievements from the Governmental Research Association.
SUPPORT OUR WORK
BGR’s ability to sustain high-quality research and work toward implementation depends on our members’ support. Join today.