BGR Report Reviews Jefferson Parish School Tax Proposal

April 9, 2019

Today, BGR releases On the Ballot: Jefferson Parish School Tax Proposal, May 4, 2019. The report analyzes a May 4 tax proposition in Jefferson Parish for a new 7.9-mill tax to fund pay raises for teachers and other school employees.

The new tax would run for 10 years, beginning in 2019. It is expected to generate $28.8 million in the first year. If voters approve the tax, the Jefferson Parish School Board would implement a new pay plan for school system employees that it approved earlier this year. The pay plan would direct 73% of revenue from the tax to teacher pay raises and incentive stipends. The remaining 27% would fund a portion of support staff pay raises. The School System would supplement the new tax revenue with $4.5 million from current revenues that it will make available through new budgeting efficiencies. The additional money would fund the remaining support staff pay raises, as well as raises and stipends for school and district leaders.

Read the full reporttwo-page summary and media release.

This report is the latest in BGR’s On the Ballot series, which provides voters with objective, nonpartisan analysis of significant ballot propositions in the New Orleans metropolitan area. In producing On the Ballot reports, BGR recommends positions consistent with its mission of promoting informed public policy and the effective use of public resources for the improvement of local government. On the Ballot reports bring to light the strengths and weaknesses of ballot propositions and assess the potential for government expenditures or actions to efficiently achieve beneficial outcomes for citizens.