American Rescue Plan Act

What is the American Rescue Plan Act money for New Orleans East being used for?

By Devin Bartolotta

Source: WWL-TV

January 23, 2023

NEW ORLEANS — New Orleans East is getting some much-needed funding for some big projects.

Councilman Oliver Thomas announced on social media this weekend that extra cash from the American Rescue Plan Act will be heading to New Orleans East.

He says $5 million will go to Lincoln Beach.

$1 million will go toward the redevelopment of the Six Flags site.

There’s also $1 million each for the New Orleans Regional Business Park and for parks and playgrounds in District E.

And there’s cash headed to quality of life.

$500,000 each for mentoring and conflict resolution and districtwide cleanups.

And $300,000 to add three NOPD Quality of Life Officers for district E.

This is a small chunk of the $388 million in federal dollars that New Orleans received from the American Rescue Plan.

The Bureau of Governmental Research released a report last month detailing how those funds have been spent so far. For example, the city used the first half of its ARPA allocation – $194 million – to fill gaps in the general fund brought on by impacts to tourism and local spending.

And now – the East will directly see 9.3 million.

We’ll follow the projects as the spending gets more specific.

Fair Use Notice

This site occasionally reprints copyrighted material, the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We make such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of issues and to highlight the accomplishments of our affiliates. We believe this constitutes a “fair use” of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is available without profit. For more information go to: US CODE: Title 17,107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond “fair use,” you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.