In The News › New Orleans Voters to Decide Millages, Criminal Court Judge Post

New Orleans Voters to Decide Millages, Criminal Court Judge Post

By Eileen Fleming


December 9, 2017

New Orleans voters will be heading to the polls tomorrow to decide what the city drainage system will look like, how firefighters are paid and the direction of the Criminal District Court.

New Orleans voters are being asked to help finance some big tickets items. Proposition 1 involves the drainage system, which shows its problems in plain view after a heavy rain. City officials say the existing drainage millage generates about $15 million a year for maintenance and operations. Voters are being asked to renew the millage, which officials say will not raise taxes. The secured funding could lower flood insurance rates citywide.

And – with Proposition 2 — voters are deciding on establishing a 12-year tax dedicated to the fire department. Funds would settle a dispute that’s gone on for decades over back pay. Officials say it’ll cost the average homeowner about $50 a year. The non-profit Bureau of Governmental Research is recommending both propositions be approved.

And in the Criminal District Court, Appeals Court Judge Paul Bonin faces prosecutor Kevin Guillory. The winner will replace Judge Frank Marullo in Section D.

Fair Use Notice

This site occasionally reprints copyrighted material, the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We make such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of issues and to highlight the accomplishments of our affiliates. We believe this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is available without profit. For more information go to: US CODE: Title 17,107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond ‘fair use’, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.