In The News

Coverage of BGR in local, regional, and national media

BGR In The News

Jefferson hotels to begin charging an extra 1 percent to help boost tourism

Aug 11, 2016

The Bureau of Governmental Research, a local nonpartisan think tank, opposed the self-assessment by New Orleans hotels, saying such surcharges diminish the ability of governments to propose their own taxes to generate revenue.

Source: The Advocate

Filed under: Economic Development, Government Finance, Jefferson Parish, Taxation & Assessments, Taxes

The $165 million question: How best to invest New Orleans’ tourism tax revenue?

Aug 3, 2016

The BGR study estimated that the hotel taxes generated $165.9 million in 2015. After accounting for all the pass-throughs and levels of distributions, the watchdog group estimated that about $126.8 million — 76 percent — went to tourism-related entities. The remaining 24 percent went to public services such as city government, transportation and education.

Source: NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

Filed under: City Government, Economic Development, Government Finance, Infrastructure, Orleans Parish, Taxation & Assessments, Taxes

President John Nicklow wants 12,000 students at University of New Orleans in 5 years

Jul 21, 2016

In five years, new University of New Orleans president John Nicklow envisions a revitalized school — with 12,000 students. “That is a lofty goal,” he admitted to an audience Thursday (July 21) at a Bureau of Governmental Research breakfast.

Source: NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

Filed under: Orleans Parish, Schools

New UNO President John Nicklow aims to boost enrollment to 12,000 in five years

Jul 21, 2016

“Rebuilding our enrollment is my top priority,” Nicklow told a packed room at a breakfast briefing hosted by the Bureau of Governmental Research, a nonprofit group that analyzes public policies.

Source: The Advocate

Filed under: Orleans Parish, Schools

Kazem Alikhani, Jefferson Parish public works director, retiring

Jul 14, 2016

In giving him one of its Excellence in Govermment awards in 2012, the Bureau of Governmental Research said Alikhani had guided the construction of more than 70 major drainage projects, overseen the armoring of pumping stations and the installation of safe rooms to shelter pump personnel during major storms, developed Jefferson’s first master plan for drainage and begun implementing a 20-year, $1 billion program to expand drainage capacity in Jefferson’s neighborhoods.

Source: NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

Filed under: Infrastructure, Jefferson Parish

In The News Archives